SDN Publishing Grant 2022
The SDN Publication Grant 2022 is now accepting submissions until September 15. 2022. Have a look at this year's Guidelines and Requirements. We're looking forward to seeing your proposals.
SDN Publishing Grant 2022
The Swiss Design Network is the Swiss competence network of design research, established in 2003. It connects design researchers from the Swiss universities of applied arts. Since its founding, the Swiss Design Network fosters the discourse and debate on design research in Switzerland and contributes to its dissemination abroad.
The Swiss Design Network sees one of its roles as a supporting body for promising design researchers. After several iterations of our successful SDN Grant, we’ve identified a specific need for financial support in publishing research efforts within the Swiss design landscape. As a response, we’re excited to announce the launch of a new and yearly supportive format, the ‘SDN Publishing Grant’.
This grant aims to showcase innovative design research conducted within Switzerland and caters explicitly to disseminating publications within this field. We support applications from undergraduate to Ph.D. levels.
The total sum awarded is CHF 2’000.-. This competitive funding is awarded solely based on the submission quality. We accept proposals for publications in all Swiss national languages (German, French, Italian, and Romansh) as well as English.
The SDN Board will evaluate the applications, and the granted applicants will be notified by the end of the academic year.
Application deadline is: 15.09.2022
SDN Grant: Guidelines
The abstract and budget will serve as a basis for the assessment based on the grant selection criteria:
- Originality/novelty of the research
- Potential for significant / broader / sustainable impact
The application proposal must consist of an original text written by the applicant, and it must be in English. Please see the application form for more information. We will only accept applications submitted through our submission form. The SDN board reserves its right to reject applications that don’t fulfill these criteria.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Applicants (Bachelor's and Master's alumni) must be associated with the Swiss Design Network Member Universities (see the list here)
- Applicants intending to publish a Ph.D. dissertation must either have a Swiss residency, citizenship, or affiliation with any Swiss University or University of Applied Sciences.
- The highest degree must have been obtained no more than three years prior to application. For BA and MA: date of graduation, for Ph.D.: date of successful defense
- Publication must contribute to the discourse in the field of design research
- Publication must be available through open access
Open Access SNF
swissuniversities: Open Access
- The applicant agrees to publish the work within two years of receiving the funds by applying for this grant.
- The applicants must ensure they will obtain or have obtained further financial support.
Please follow this link to our submission form, where you will be asked to upload your application PDF and enter the following information:
- Title of the Publication (required)
- Short research description (max. 200 Words) 1000 characters) (required) – How does the publication contribute to the ongoing discourse in the field of design research?
- Sources must be cited correctly.
- Abstract (max 500 words.) (required)
- Expenses and funding plan (required)
- Name and affiliation of the researcher (optional)
- Proof and date of the obtained highest degree
- Contact information (required)
- Short bio (max 200 words) (required)
Requirements after a successful application:
- Abstract to be published on SDN website
- Images or visual material (if available) to be published on the SDN website
- Digital open-access pdf (document or link) to be shared on the SDN website
- Short biography and portrait of the author(s)
The SDN retains the right not to award the grant if the selection committee deems the applications unsuitable.
CfP for the upcoming conference: Jan Tschichold’s The New Typography: Its Roots and Impact on National Scenes at ECAL
Jan Tschichold’s The New Typography is a critical essay and an operative handbook that paved the way to modern graphic design.
SDN Grant 2022: Applications are open!
The SDN Grant 2022 is now accepting submissions until December 1. 2022. Have a look at this year's Guidelines and Requirements. We're looking forward to seeing your proposals.